Hello again everyone!  Thanks to all who responded to my request for
information regarding an official WHO definition for diarrhea!  Lucy
Rowland at the Univ. of Georgia did have the book "Management and
Prevention of Diarrhoea: Practical Guidelines," published by WHO in 1993,
which states, "For practical purposes, diarrhoea is defined as three or
more loose or watery stools in a day (24 hours)....Diarrhoea is
classified as acute or persistent according to its duration.  An episode
of diarrhoea that lasts less than 2 weeks is acute diarrhoea; diarrhoea
that lasts 2 weeks or longer is persistent."

This definition was official enough for my client, and she went away
very happy.  Thanks again Lucy and everyone!

Kay Hogan
UAB Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences