I think it would be helpful to see a list of all the programs found to be
truly VT100 compatible.  Please e-mail me if you know of one (include
source address/phone or ftp site, and MAC or PC compatability) and I will
make a list for MEDLIB-L and the CDPLUS list (OVID's distribution list).

We have discovered that recommending certain software makes it easier for
us to work with our patrons interested in dial-in access.  We recommend
and provide support for procomm (dos shareware version) and macKermit
(freeware, I believe, or maybe we have some sort of site license
agreement).  Our Information Services department distributes copies of
the software and registration instructions.  We provide information on
dial-in, downloading and printing from OVID using procomm.  We have also
provided information on purchasing procomm+ at local computer stores (for
those who are not students, staff or faculty, and don't have access to
Information Services.)

So far this arrangement is working pretty well.  We have discovered a few
other programs that work with OVID and will tell patrons about them but
don't support them with instruction.  (So far Bitcomm [on the VT100a
setting] and Smartcom both appear to work.)

OVID believes that it should provide a database designed to the highest
VT100 standard.  As with many things in the computer world, many of the
low end bundled communication software is created with a much lower
standard in mind.  Our sense, from communicating with OVID is that the
problem is not going to go away any time soon, since OVID won't be
lowering its standards.

Lynne M. Fox               University of Northern Colorado
voice: 970/351-1534        James A. Michener Library
fax:   970/351-2540        Greeley, Colorado 80639
email: [log in to unmask]