Paul Blobaum noted:

.  When we documented that a $10,000 3M security system would
>pay for itself in little over a year, the administration sprung for it
>mostly because it would stop a lot of complaining.  Since 1992, the loss
>rate has dropped to almost nothing....

We have the 3M security system too, but in our situation it's next to
useless.  Our thefts/disappearances pretty much all happened nights &
weekends when nobody's in the library, so the materials blithely sauntered
out -- who cares if the alarm goes "beep-beep" a few times?  We also can't
put sensor strips on printer cables, toner cartridges, xerox paper, etc.  A
security camera (disguised as a smoke detector) was a help, in that we
filmed several staff members (who *all* had certain letters after their
names...) vaulting over our service desk counter, rummaging through drawers
(until he found the "hidden" key -- and unlocked all the locked cabinets),
making personal long-distance phone calls on our fax machine.  Of  course,
consequences were all but nonexistent, but once word got out that we "know
who you are" the problem stopped.  We finally were able to get the locks
changed, and *anyone* who needs to get in signs for a key in Security.
There were some mutterings and howlings at first, but they got used to the
idea and it has helped noticeably.

Julie Stielstra

Joy Kennedy / J. Stielstra
Health Resource Library
Northwest Community Hospital
800 W Central Rd.
Arlington Heights IL 60005
v  708-259-1000 ext 5071  ; fax 708-577-4049