I charge a flat $1 for any article obtained outside my own walls; copies
made for people from journals held in my library are automatically charged
to the individuals, since we have a list of their photocopy charge numbers.

The $1 is an effort to recover costs--when I was told I had to charge
for photocopies, but not how much or to what end, I figured out an average
number of pages in the articles we were retrieving, and rounded up to
cover some of the student wage costs.  It's an easy figure to deal with,
though of course it overcharges some, undercharges others, and doesn't
quite cover our costs.

Pam Sieving
Kellogg Eye Center
U of Michigan