Yes, we charge our patrons $3.00 per item.

We used to charge back on a cost-recovery basis (If the ILL cost us
$8.00, we charged the patron $8.00; if it was free to us, it was free to
the patron; etc.)  As a result, we were frequently handed a lengthly
bibliography with the request that we get "everything that's free."  Some
quality filter, eh?

The $3.00 fee has expedited the ILL process for us, and it serves as a
gatekeeper for the patrons; they are forced to make a decision based
presumably on quality, given that all ILL's have the same monetary value
to the patron.

I know that any charge at all introduces an economic factor into
the decision-making process, but we did not/do not have the budget to
provide ILL's for free.  ($3.00 is a break-even point for us)  And, as I
tell our patrons, $3.00 is downright cheap in the world of document delivery.

Hope this helps.

Margo Coletti ([log in to unmask]) / Beth Israel Hospital / Boston, MA