Our policy (hospital as well as Library) is that if an item - books and
journals included - is for use on a unit or in a department, the item is
charged to the department.  Each department/unit has a budget that includes
a line items for subscriptions, so there's no excuse.  And I make sure that
that's where those purchases turn up, since I handle global (hospitalwide)
book/journal/av material purchases orders and enter them into the materiel
management database as I create the POs.  Each department gets a monthly
printout of purchases (and a quarterly report) from which they can plan
their next year's budget.  The library is charged only for those titles
which remain in the library and are circulated to the hospital community at
large.

Anne Tomlin
Auburn Memorial Hospital
17 Lansing Street