In some cases librarians may be missing a "golden" opportunity by not
ordering/processing journals or books for departments.  Just offer this
service to all departments for a "fee."  So much to order for them, so
much more if they want journals checked in/claimed by library staff, so
much for processing/cataloging books, etc.  This serves two purposes (at
least), generating additional income for the library, and increasing the
library's service visibility which helps us down the road to
INdispensibility.  I vote with Naomi Broering whose keynote address at
the recent Southern Chapter meeting suggested a "yes,yes,yes" attitude
when asked to take on increased responsibilities.  The librarian or
library which can turn this to very positive advantage will be our
success stories.

Tom

Thomas Williams, Director               (334) 460-6886
Biomedical Library                      (334) 460-7368(fax)
University of South Alabama             [log in to unmask]
College of Medicine
BML 213
Mobile, Alabama 36688