(Message cross-posted to MEDLIB-L, CANMEDLIB)
Our hospital is undergoing a major restructuring project,
moving to a product line management structure, and I'm
trying to think of the best way for library & information
services to be planned & delivered in this model.

There will be a number (maybe 15) of fairly independent and
autonomous "care centres", which will plan for services
in different product lines (which we are not calling product
lines, but there you go).  These "care centres" are multi-
disciplinary teams which will plan and make recommendations
for everything relating to those product lines, from
staffing to space to supplies.  Each care centre will
eventually have one director, but right now they are
functioning as planning committees.

Now, the non-clinical areas are sort of off to one side
(surprise!) and I'm wondering how I can go about getting
the care centres to include information needs in their
planning process, or whether that's even a good idea.
It may be that in practice, some product lines are more
high-powered and can get more resources, while others
languish, leading to lopsided services.  I also would
not want to see my budget split up into 15 separate mini-
budgets.  On the other hand, I certainly don't want to
ignore the whole restructuring process, because I think
there's a real potential here to bring the library
closer to its customers and really get good insights into
the needs that people have in these services.

So-o-o: is there anyone out there in a hospital using
product-line management or a similarly decentralized model
who can give me some advice on getting the library involved?
I'm sure I'll get plenty of people asking me to share replies,
so do please indicate in your response if you want certain
details or libellous comments left out of a public summary.

Thanks for any info you can offer...

Jenny Reiswig
Health Sciences Library
Toronto East General Hospital