A nurse who works in our Encopresis Clinic has asked me to try and track
down something she heard from the mother of a patient.  The woman told
her that she heard on CNN several months ago that phenophthalein, a
component of Ex-Lax and Agoral which are prescribed frequently for the
patients of this nurse, has been recently found to cause cancer in rats.
The mother apparently called this a "public health" report.

I've done quite a bit of searching on the Web - New York Times Health in
the News, CNN, Health and Human Services, and just on the term
phenolphthalein using Lycos and several search engines.  I've also
searched NTIS on Dialog, and of course CancerLit, but have come up empty.

Has anyone heard of this or have any suggestions for pursuing this
further?  Please respond to me directly.  Thanks very much.

Susan L. Klawansky                              [log in to unmask]
Hospital Library                                Phone: (206) 526-2098
Children's Hospital and Medical Center          Fax: (206) 527-3838
4800 Sand Point Way NE
P.O. Box 5371
Seattle, WA  98105