(If you've already read this and responded--thank you! If not, here's
your chance :-)

Dear Colleagues:

Last fall, the William H. Welch Medical Library of the Johns Hopkins
University received one of the "Planning Grants for the Education and
Training of Health Sciences Librarians" from the National Library of
Medicine. The focus of our project is lifelong learning for health
sciences librarians, and its specific aims are to plan, implement, and
evaluate a one-year pilot continuing education program to serve that
community.

Your input is crucial in helping us shape the program into one that will
be responsive to the needs of the community. By January 15, we ask that
you take 15-20 minutes to complete a survey that will be used as we plan
our program. Please encourage your colleagues to reply. All responses
will be kept confidential and we will release results only in aggregate
form.

During the next several months, we will develop both a short-course and a
conference targeted at academic health sciences librarians. It will
include a one-week course next summer for roughly 20 participants using a
new interactive distance learning facility on the Hopkins campus. This
course will be broadcast to one or two similar facilities in different
locations. Finally, an online version of the course will extend its reach
nationally. A online conference of participant papers on related topics
will complement the instruction. All materials will be published on a WWW
server, which will allow for continued interaction and self-directed
learning after the course concludes. Both general-interest and
specialized tracks will be offered. An additional goal is to develop
mechanisms to continue the program beyond the planning grant period, so
that health sciences librarians can update and extend their professional
education and training regardless of their physical location. We are
working with MLA to award CE credit to participants.

To complete the survey, please point your forms-capable WWW browser (e.g.
Netscape Navigator) to the following URL:

        http://www.welch.jhu.edu/grant/grant/survey.html

Most questions offer simple pull-down menu choices. The results of the
survey and a Call for Participation in the course/conference will be
distributed in the near future.

The full text of the research plan of our application "Current Topics in
Health Sciences Librarianship" is available at the URL:

        http://www.welch.jhu.edu/grant/grant/Index.html

Thank you for your help.

For the project core planning group: Kerryn Brandt (principal
investigator); Rob Sapp, Jayne Campbell (co-investigators)

#          Kerryn A. Brandt, Ph.D., M.L.S. Research Associate          #
#  Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Welch Medical Library  #
#         1900 East Monument Street, Baltimore, MD 21205-2113          #
#   [log in to unmask] | (410)-955-1307 (phone) | (410)-955-0985 (FAX)  #