Dear Medlibbers,
|TAB|Ever since that patron with Graves Disease came on the list
several weeks ago asking for homeopathic treatments for this
condition, I've been trying to think of diplomatic ways to let
people know that they are realy asking a difficult question, that
it will probably take a long time to answer and that the chances
for success are slim. I feel bad that this person was insulted
by our response. Although I have never sought information about
homeopathic treatments, my instinct tells me that the patron's
question was difficult in the extreme since I do not believe that
alternative medical treatments are particularly well covered by
MEDLINE or CINAHL or that this type of information is well collected
by medical libraries.
|TAB|Does anyone out there have wisdom to share about letting
patrons down easy? Does anyone even try? Maybe I'm all washed
up about the difficulty of this question? I think this is an
important question because we will probably receive more of
this type of question as more and more people use the INTERNET.
Thanks to all!

Mike Shadix                    [log in to unmask]
Roosevelt Institute
PO Box 1000
Warm Springs, GA 31830
706-655-5616