This is the summary of replies I received with recommendations
of Internet sites using sound to good effect.  I must say I
have NOT given them a test run - it's taken me a while to
find and download audio players, etc., so caveat listenor.

Jenny Reiswig
Health Sciences Library

----< here they come >--------------------------------------

I heard that OncoLink has sound files which demonstrate the
difference between a normal and abnormal heartbeat.  I believe
its meant for education of medical students.  Sorry I don't have
exact URL as I haven't checked this out for myself.  OncoLink is
at:  http://cancer.med.upenn.edu/
Try the virtual heart - it has a heart beat.
I couldn't get through to the Virtual Heart, but here is another
site you can try for sounds:
http://synapse.uah.ualberta.ca/synapse/00b10000.htm
Hello from Norway:
For the time being my favorite sound and video demo. is sited at the
http://indy.radiology.uiowa.edu/
Virtual Hospital : For healthcare providers : Multimedia textbooks :
Pediatric airway disease : The Croup syndromes. Down this page you
will find an icon with a baby. (Poor child - nasty cough!)
Cardiax, from the University of Michigan not only demonstrates
sound but that you can also have medical education by remote technology.
Their demonstration page is:

http://www.med.umich.edu/lrc/cardiax/cardiax.html

A sample sound file gives a heart murmur.
Check out the Family Health Audio files at Ohio University
http://www.tcom.ohiou.edu/family-health.html