I share your concern about what is appropriate to tell
the customer. I have no problem with doctors or nurses if
it is anything I have knowledge of that they may not
be aware of.  I feel that is part of being on the patient
care team.  But, I do have a problem with patients or consumers.
It must be the library training kicking in.  I know the professionals
will add my information to everything else they are evaluating and
will ask to see the documentation if they feel the need.  They know
the resources and how to make the best use of them, at least the ones
who come to the library do.  I do not know the background of the
casual user of the facility and hesitate to make myself into the
"expert" whose word is to be taken as undocumented fact.  I have
no problem presenting materials on both sides of a question and
always try to point out areas of dissent in the literature to all
customers.  Perhaps having only authoritative sources is the easy way
to avoid the problem but not having alternative literature would
not reflect the true state of health care today.
Interesting question for discussion.
Marj

Marjorie Anderson, M.L.S.       ***   [log in to unmask]
Mercy Hospital                  ###   [log in to unmask]
Health Sciences Library         ***   Phone  207-879-3365
144 State Street                ###   FAX    207-879-3929
Portland Maine 04101            ***   "Never assume...."

Patricia Kahn, MLS, Librarian
Health Science Library
Penobscot Bay Medical Center
Rockport ME 04856