The following message was sent to me by someone at NLM so I thought I'd
share it with y'all.  Since this message was a personal one to me I've
not included the name of the person who sent it.

Thomas Williams, Director               (334) 460-6885
Biomedical Library                      (334) 460-7638(fax)
University of South Alabama             [log in to unmask]
College of Medicine
BML 323B
Mobile, Alabama 36688

     Tom,

     I am not the official word on this, but...Yesterday afternoon we had
     what I was told was a water main break in the basement of the
     building.  All power, including the emergency generators, were shut
     off.  We were all evacuated, down very dark stairwells, and ultimately
     sent home.  Today the power is back on, but I was told that the
     chilled water is still not available, therefore the mainframe isn't
     up.  I haven't investigated the truth of all of this, nor found out
     expected times of repair, but it seems plausible to me.  I checked
     with the MEDLARS service desk and they have been told that it will be
     noon at the earliest before it is back up.  I have suggested an
     official posting to MEDLIB so I hope that someone will do that.

     BTW, NLM is in two separate buildings and only one building plus the
     mainframe which is in between was affected.  So reference, cataloging,
     readers service, and ILL (except for DOCLINE) were still operating.

     We had a furlough in Nov, another furlough in Dec, a blizzard in Jan
     and now this in Feb.  What is going to happen in March.