On Wed, 7 Feb 1996, Anna Gieschen wrote:

> Our most recent experiment in eliminating "ASAP" has been to
> change "needed by" on our request form to "not needed after" -
> we haven't really had it in place long enough to tell for sure
> if it will make a difference. A few months back, when a med
> stuednt cam e in on a Saturday to pick up an item he had
> requested ASAP on friday (leaving request on counter w/o
> clarifying conversation with staff), he explained that he
> thought "ASAP" meant within 24 hours, because that is how
> our lab defines it! I guess the hospital seemed
> inconsistent to him...

My thought is - if the patron filled out a form instead of calling,
they probably don't need it stat.  Of course (and maybe I have to be
as small an operation as I am to do this), if I see "ASAP" on a form,
I'll call the patron to pin them down to a time.  Usually I find
that they think of ASAP as within the week.  (Great message heading,
BTW!)

(                 _       Jerry Carlson
 MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMnVn  Poudre Valley Hospital