                       Subject:                               Time:10:54 =
AM
  OFFICE MEMO          pycnogenol & ADD (long)                Date:2/22/96

We have access to Periodical Abstracts Research II, a general database =
aimed at undergrads that includes some full-text.  I checked it for =
pycnogenol and found several articles.  I haven't looked at them all, but =
this one specifically talks about ADD.  Since it's full-text, I've =
included an excerpt, as well as the cite.  Although I wouldn't consider =
this a definitive source, it's an example of what a lot of consumers read =
that health professional ignore.  (It *does* disturb me that "Tourette's" =
is mis-spelled in the article!)

I also apologize in advance for the odd line breaks and =3D characters =
that may appear in this message!

Bowles, Willa Vae. Pycnogenol:  A Source for Wellness. Total Health.  =
17(1):27-28.  1995 Feb.
[Excerpt about ADD]
Then came a trying time for the family when JoAnne was in the first grade. =
 She displayed hyperactivity, out-of-control behavior and declining school =
work. After analysis and testing, JoAnne was diagnosed with A.D.D.
(Attention Deficit Disorder) and the doctor prescribed Ritalin. Her school
work improved, but her angry behavior was still a problem, especially
toward her brother and mother. While in the second grade, she developed a
nervous twitch and a terrible attitude The doctor feared Turrets Syndrome =
and cancelled the use of Ritalin. JoAnne regressed. Her mother became very =
frustrated as she saw her daughter deteriorating.  [stuff deleted]... On =
November 18, 1993, JoAnne began taking PycnogenolTM. Within three days, it =
was like paradise with a calm,  pleasant little girl. [more deleted]... =
Why did JoAnne improve so quickly? Dr. Richard Passwater says PycnogenolTM =
is important to brain function because it protects blood vessels and is =
one of the few dietary antioxidants that readily penetrates the =
blood-brain barrier to protect brain cells. The blood-brain barrier =
protects the brain from compounds that normally circulate in the blood. =
Brain cells are very sensitive to some compounds. Protection of brain =
cells helps or prevents many mental problems such as learning, memory, =
senility and strokes.
Janna
Janna Lawrence
Instructional Services Coordinator (and Library News editor)
Briscoe Library , University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
(210) 567-2425     Fax:  (210) 567-2490