	I Took a couple of hours out of the workday in order to sample
the new snow that has/is falling.  In Burlington, we received a
smattering of snow in spots, all of it quite wet.  I arrived at Stowe at
about 2:00 P.M. to heavy falling snow, which lasted about an hour and
then dropped to a more modest level.  My depth checks on the upper
mountain revealed about 8-10 inches of new snow on top of a crusty base.
I FORCED myself to find untracked areas of snow in an effort to get a
quality estimate and send out an accurate report to everyone on the list.
The latest two inches of snow was fairly light on the upper mountain
(approx 4000') and it didn't really stick together when I crushed it in
my hand.  In general though, the snow underneath this was more of a wet
dense stuff.  Skiing the powder in the woods was actually tough.  I sank
through the first light layer of snow, and down into the snow below which
tried to make my skis stop while my body kept going, send one ski off in its
own direction, and slow me to a standtill on mild slopes.  It was not the
effortless powder skiing of 2 weeks ago, it was work, work, work all the
way down (but a good work).  The trails were full of a chopped
up snow with areas of ice below in the high traffic areas.  Once
again, you really had to stay on top of your boards and tell
them what to do or the heavy snow mounds would push 'em around
and take you for a ride.  I bet a pair of powder fatties (I saw
one person with a pair on) or a snowboard would have been better
in the powder today.  Nonetheless, this was powder in April and
I'd be a fool to scoff at that.  If they get more snow tonight
and the temperatures stay low, some of that "lighter" variety may build
up and make things a little easier.

					J. "Your roving reporter" Spin