	Called in sick to work yesterday and hopped in the car, sans
board, for an afternoon drive to NH with a stop for a short hike into
Tucks.  Now let me qualify this here first.  I'm sure everybody heard
that it was going to rain yesterday afternoon right?!?!?  And I figured
clouds would be cruising in around noon at Tucks so I felt no urgency to
bring along any snow sliding equipment.  In fact I wasn't even sure I'd
be able to hike all the way in if weather got nasty.  BIG MISTAKE!!!!!
	Coming across rt 302 with Mnt Washington Hotel setting the
foreground for a crystal clear view of the West side of Washington, I
looked across the street at a bank flashing the temp -- 58 degrees.
AHHHHHHHHH!  And there were no boards on my roof rack!!!  Drove into
Pinkham Notch up Rte 16.  Temp: 55 degrees.  AHHHHHHHHHH!
	Checked in at the base lodge and began our ascent up Tuckermans'
Ravine Trail around 11:30.  Caught up to two hikers WITH skis.  One kid
worked at the lodge and said, "This should be the best day of the year!".
AAHHHHHHHHH!!  I was sweating my ass off hiking in fleece pants and a
T-shirt (I just hope no one at work today notices my nicely sun-fried
nose).  By 2:00 we were up all the way to the lunch rocks watching a few
dozen skiers and boarders rip lines down Right Gully and the top of
Hillmans.  Most were coming right off the upper snowfields and taking a
continuous line down right gully, into the bowl, skiing all the way down
into the lower snowfields, chilling for a few minutes then skiing all the
way back down to Pinkham.  It seemed like stuff on the headwall that got
trapped in the shadows was hardening up FAST.  Saw a few guys and gals
have to traverse almost straight across the middle face of the headwall
until they hit sunlight near right gully.
SOOOOO much coverage up there right now.  Hillmans looked to be the best
if it was skiied before 2:00.  After that it lost direct sunlight and
sounded a little hard.  Another really sweet line was up off of Lions
Head in the river chute between Huntington and Tuckermans Ravine.  Saw
two nice lines taken down this area.  It's a nice open snowfield on top
that steepens up into a tight narrow chute for the last several hundred
vert.  I forget what it's called.
	The two hikers I passed on the way up got up a little late and
couldn't hike into the main headwall.  Instead they took a few short runs
in the lower snow fields.  The snow there was corn which started crusting
up as afternoon sunlight left.
	Anticipate some awesome skiing in Tucks this early season.  With
little snowfall predicted for the next week, avalanche danger should be
at a minimum (all trails, including Gulf of Slides posted Low Avalanche
Danger signs).  Unfortunately it doesn't look like things are going to
warm up enough for this week-end.  I'd really like to go on Sat or Sunday
if anybody else is interested.  It seems most of my compatriots around
here have families and wish to spend Easter with them.  I on the
otherhand have a family in California.  Looks like no holiday family time
for me!!!!  Such a bummer too if I have to spend it in Tuckermans.  ;)
Pray for some sun!!

				ShawShank