> We recently purchased a book, published by Williams and Wilkins, entitled
> "Audiology: the Fundamentals" 2nd ed. by Bess and Humes. It comes with a
> companion computer disk.  In checking with the Book Division at W & W
> Customer Service, I was informed that if we circulate this book ( and why
> wouldn't we?) the Library would be liable if any patron made an illegal
> copy of the disk.  We've made two calls to W & W and got the same answer
> each time, incredible though it be.
>
> Needless to say, this book is going back to W & W immediately and we
> won't purchase any other books with this same liability.
>
> How are you all handling such issues?  Clearly, we cannot allow ourselves
> to be made liable for each of the transgressions of our patrons.  Does
> this mean W & W will also hold us liable if a patron checks out a book
> and makes a photocopy of it?
>
> The attitude of W & W is clearly absurd and it may be time that we,
> as a group, take a stand against such tactics by publishers.  We are
> reviewing ALL titles we purchase from Williams and Wilkins and will no
> longer purchase titles unless they are critical to our collection.
>
> Thoughts, comments?
>
> Tom
>
> Thomas Williams, Director                       (334) 460-6885
> Biomedical Libraries and Learning Resources     (334) 460-7638(fax)
> University of South Alabama                     [log in to unmask]
> College of Medicine
> BML 323B
> Mobile, Alabama 36688

Can they back up their statement with any legal ruling or law - after all,
they sold to a library whose well known policy is to circulate materials to
patrons - they will probably even sell to a public library with the policy
of "free and equal access to information" - I think I'd write and ask for
their written (and legal) statement and then ask some of our copyright folks
for their ideas (and check with my own legal department, having their
comments placed on paper for my file).  There are very important issues
(this being only a minor one) at stake here.  Leona Pettit ([log in to unmask])
hospital librarian