just to relate a happening at my library.  One volume of DeVita'sOncology
disappeared.  We replaced the set.  The new edition came out and we
bought it.  The old missing volume reappeared and the new edition same
volume disappeared.  Silly me, I replaced the new volume.  When this
happened again when the next edition came out, I quit buying replacements
for it.   Now, who else but a physician would be taking this book?  And
with all likelyhood, it was one of the oncologists on staff.   One year
we lost $14,000 worth of books  and the only ones who had access tothe
library after hours are the docs.   When administration heard this, we
got restricted access and a security system (after I had been begging for
one for years) Since then we lose a few things each year, but nothing
like before.  And they will never convince me or administration that it
wasn't the docs. that took all the missing things

Doris Blauet
Genesys Rgional Medical Center Libraries