Mornin', Patty et al.,!

>I've just spoken with a woman in our computer dept. who has been
>zapped by a new & definitely REAL virus:  it's the pkzip300.zip file,
>available on the internet & pretending to be an upgrade of the latest

May want to tell the woman in the computer department she might
ought to learn a little more about her job before she goes off
frightening people.  (The fact that she herself got zapped by this
thing shows just how careless she is about computer security.)
Wrong on both counts -- it's neither new *nor* a virus.  How do I
know?

Because I moderate a couple of network conferences on virus
protection, is how.  PKZIP300, a.k.a. PKZ300, a.k.a. PKZ300A or
PKZ300B or PKZ305 has been around for several years now.  It is
not a virus, but a trojan.

It's dangerous, yes, but a virus it is not.  Viruses by definition
replicate themselves - trojans do not.  People need to be aware of
this nasty, but any "authority" who says it's either a virus OR new
is highly suspect as far as actually knowing what they're talking
about.

Bill Nichols
Medical Librarian
Ireland Army Community Hospital