        We are a midsize, yet rather busy medical library that supoorts the
clinical research and educational needs of hospital personnel.  Recently our
Library was asked to investigate the feasibility of implementing a fee-based
services.  We were wondering if we could gather some comments or ideas from
libraries that are already providing some type of fee-based service.

Some questions we have are:
1)  Which types of services are libraries charging for?

2)  What strategies are used when charging for services such as variable-cost
items (commercial-online services)O?

3)  What are the policies behind charging strategies?

4)  What charges are being set?

5)  Are charges set differently for core users (patrons within the institution)
and non-core users (patrons outside the institution)?

6)  Are charges allowing libraries to simply cover the cost of the services or
are libraries making a profit?

7)  Has implementation of fee-based services been successful?

8)  How have the users reacted to this type of service?

We would certainly appreciate any input you may have regarding this subject.
You may contact us directly at the e-mail address below.  The address and fax
 number are also listed in case you have any documentation that you would like
to share with us.

Thank-you very much for your time and assistance.

We will summarize all the responses that we receive and post them to the
listserv.

Wumin Si
Medical Librarian

Michelle Firmin