I found the article regarding backlash from having a professional
image to be interesting and similar to the situation that I am
experiencing.

I too work in a small hospital library.  The physicians, nurse
managers, other professionals and administration all consider me to be
a professional.  In fact, on the client satisfaction survey I recently
sent out, just about every one stated that the best feature of the
Library was the professional staff.

My biggest problem is with the director of the nursing school that is
associated with our hospital.  She definitely does not consider the
Librarian's position to be a professional position, and has made no
bones in expressing that to me.  When trying to negotiate the new
position of a Library technician, she was under the impression that
anyone with a high school diploma and a few computer courses could do
the Librarian's functions!  Needless to say, I informed her that the
educational standards for a Librarian include not only a bachelors
degree but also a masters ddegree in Library science from an
accredited university.

She also does not believe that a Librarian is neccessary to perform
literature searches, but that everyone, physicians administration,
nursing staff etc. should do their own.  We have the facilities
available for this, and most physicians have access to medline through
the internet, but I still get a high percentage of requests.
Basically, most people can handle basic searches but complex searches
should be done by the professional searcher - the Librarian.  Also,
most individuals simply do not do enough searches to keep their search
strategy skills up to par.

Does anyone have any comments on how I can deal effectively with this
director of the school?  Comment to the list or to me directly.

Thank you.

Kimberly A. Hancock
Health Sciences Library
Western Memorial Regional Hospital