>Gary,
>
>Depending on the clients you use (netscape navigator,Eudora, etc.) there is
>a simple low tech solution. Most clients allow multiple address and
>bookmark files. Have them save their email addresses and bookmarks to a
>floppy. When they fire up the clients, point the clients to the files on
>the floppy.
>
>There are other solutions but that discussion requires a conversation to be
>useful. Feel free to call.
>
>Drew Taubman

I use the educational, public domain version of Eudora, and it doesn't
allow multiple nickname files, to my knowledge. I'm not sure what you are
referring to when you say, in the case of Eudora, "point the clients to the
files on the floppy." The only file Eudora will open from a floppy is a
text file, at least in the version I use (Eudora 1.5.1). While we could ask
users to cut and paste e-mail addresses to a text file that they could then
save on a floppy, it would be nice to have a more elegant solution.

Ray Wilson of Charlotte also answered me that Netscape allows you to open
from a floppy a bookmark file as a Web page, and the bookmarks will be
active links (I knew this and have used it on occasion). This is something
we might consider, but it has a couple of drawbacks. If you save a URL as a
bookmark, using the "Add Bookmark" command in Netscape, it alters the
available bookmark file, which in our case is the library's file, something
we don't want altered. To save a bookmark to an external, floppy file, you
have to copy the URL, paste it to a text file, then add the relevant HTML
commands to make it a link, then save the file and reopen it within
Netscape. Our users won't be likely to learn this sequence. While Netscape
does allow you to import a bookmark file, then add bookmarks to it, and
save it to a floppy with a name other than "Bookmarks," this is prone to
writing over of the default bookmark file of the library, something that
the librarians probably don't want us to risk. Also, in order for the user
to use a bookmark file as a database of e-mail addresses, the "mailto" tag
of HTML must be added, again not something that our users are likely to
learn. We want something that is basically reduced to double-clicking, as
with Cyberfinder.

I know this may sound like a relatively simple problem, but I've been using
the Internet for nearly fifteen years, have been a consultant on
networking, and I know most of the programs available, how to use them and
how to teach others to use them. The solution for how to give casual public
access users a way to store URLs and e-mail addresses is not obvious to me,
other than with a program like Cyberfinder.

Thanks for the help, anyway.

-- Gary