>We are exploring offering a short "CyberSummer" program to introduce the
>Internet to kids at one of the public housing sites in our community. The
>site has just received some reconditioned pc's-mainly 286's & 386's. We (the
>library) would provide dial up access to the Internet through us and provide
>some limited training for the staff and kids at the site. Thanks to Steve
>Snow at Charlotte for putting so much info online. We got some good ideas
>about linking old pc's
>to create mini-hubs from them.
>
>My main interest now is in structuring the program. What can we accomplish
>in a four  weeks? What is the best age range for this?
>
>I'd appreciate hearing from any of you who have developed similar programs
>and have outlines to share....plus comments about what you found that worked
>and what didn't.
>
>Thanks-
>
>Diane Greenwald
>===============================
>Diane Greenwald
>Danbury Public Library
>170 Main St.
>Danbury, CT 06810 (203)797-4512
>Danbury Community Network
>www.danbury.org

Why not just use ATT worldnet for $19.95, this feed should suffice
to let people access the internet. But don't restrict them to 286's
you are wasting valuable resources and crippling their view of the
internet. Have a least Graphics capable terminals, otherwise the training
is more difficult and the returns harder to establish early. With
Netscape, you just let them loose (with some supervision of course!)

As for splitting this signal into several signals from a hub, that depends
on costs and cost for one month of fancy stuff hard to justify. Probably
best to keep it simple :).  I.e have at least one graphic browser, rest
can be dumb terminals for text based if thats all you have.