lee, et al,

good points, but there's no point following any model without understanding
the reasons behind that model.  yes, once upon a time we had
examination/certifcation.  why is it that we don't have it any more?  it's
because it didn't work.  by that i mean that it didn't get us the
respect/salaries we had hoped would follow from using a model employed by
other professionals.  ahip membership as a model will leave us in the same
shape.

if we look at the reasons behind certification/licensure/examination, it
should be clear that these procedures work because they offer some
assurance that licensees will perform their jobs adequately.  the reason
why such an assurance is necessary is FEAR, fear that if the person you
rely upon to do a particular job doesn't do it well, there will be grievous
consequences.  i'm not sure that we can say that about librarianship in
general, and i'm positive that most administrators won't say that.

in other words, we've got to be able to show that absent a quality control
procedure such as licensure, people will be greatly harmed by incompetent
practitioners.  until and unless we can demonstrate that this is true for
librarians, ahip and similar efforts will too often be mere window dressing
when it comes to salaries and respect.  there are certainly other reasons
why ahip membership may be worthwhile, but proving ourselves to the outside
world is not one of them.

steve teich

>>> Lee Hover <[log in to unmask]> - 5/1/96 5:54 PM >>>
On Wed, 1 May 1996, Carolyn Lindberg wrote:

.  Most health professionals recognize that I had to take
> a difficult exam and continue with my education to maintain my
registration.
> It is this medical model that medical librarians should strive for; i.e.,
> formal certification derived from examination.
>

> Carolyn Lindberg, MLS, RRA, Ph.D. (no AHIP)

Carolyn--
Right on, but that's back to the future!  That's what we did do at one
time; I took the certification exam my self (and passed).  It seemed to me
a more sensible way to go about things, particularly since I personally
believe that hospitals could not care less about AHIP and, if possible,
industry cares even less than that!  Am I qualified for AHIP?  And how;
but I never felt interested enough to do all the paper work, pay the
money, pay the money...

 Lee Hover
Information Developers
Computer-based Research