	If you think the ski season is over in the east, think again...
Yesterday we went to Tuckerman Ravine to get some June skiing in.  We
started from Pinkham at about 10 A.M. and got to the lunch rocks by about
noon or so.  It was sunny most of the way, but when we arrived in the
ravine, rumbles of thunder and gray clouds accompanied a sudden
downpour.  Actually, our timing was good since we were able to keep quite
dry waiting it out under some lunch rocks.  During our wait, we were
gifted with an incredible show from mother nature.  At one point, the
clouds pushed their way down left gully like a wall of smoke and we got
ringside seats as the ravine got filled... Definitely one of the most
incredible sites I've ever seen.  After conditions lightened up a bit, we
took our first run.  The skiable options included left gully and the
entire ravine below the headwall.  Left gully was skiable in the middle
section but the snow did not connect to the main mass in the ravine, this
was also the case with Hillman's.  We took two runs down the center of
the ravine (approx 300' vertical each) and then a third from the right
side of the ravine all the way down to the end of the ravine entrance
trail (approx 500' vertical).  The snow was great, albeit dirty in a few
areas on the right side.  There were maybe thirty skiers total, in
addition to a great sax player who filled the entire ravine with sound.
There are certainly crevasses about, but it looks like most of the ice
has fallen from the headwall so at least that danger was minimized.  The
snow is still 20' deep in some areas.  Does anyone know when the skiing
usually ends in the ravine?  I would love to catch a day in July if there
was enough left.  As for alternaives to skiing to do in the summer:  I
tried Kayaking for the first time this week...  I'm hooked.  Time to
stretch that stipend a little more...

						J. spin