I recently began working in a small hospital library.  Fortunately, my
boss--one of the hospital ass't. VPs--is all ears when I make suggestions
for changes in the library.  I am now trying to convince her that we
should be binding journals.  (They are now kept in UGLY plastic journal
boxes.)

Wanting to be sure that I include in a memo to her all the reasons for
binding, I enlist your help.  The obvious reasons are prevention of
theft of single issues, keeping issues in order, ease of handling,
finding the correct issue and shelving.  In addition, with each volume
being kept in one box, the boxes become very heavy.

If you can give me other good reasons for binding, I'd appreciate it.

Barbara Elish