>Dear IsoGeoChemists,
>
>since I was not able to locate any information about it in the
>literature, allow me to post the question here:
>
>I am interested in the fractionation (13C/12C) that occurs
>when CO2 diffuses (or streams) through small openings or tubes. Is
>there any fractionation other than the mostly quoted +4.4 permille?
>If so, how is it related to the geometry (?) and size of the opening?
>
>Since this question must be of some importance for the design of mass
>spectrometers, I suspect quite some data will have been gathered
>about it.
>
>Any hints or comments are VERY welcome !
>
>Frank Pawellek
>

>----------------------------
>Frank Pawellek
>Stable Isotope Laboratory
>Department of Geography
>University of Wales, Swansea
>Singleton Park
>Swansea SA2 8PP
>Wales / GB
>
>Tel. +44 1792 295149
>Fax. +44 1792 205556
>------------------------(;->

Hi Frank,

as a starting point you could try

 O'Leary, J.Phys.Chem. 1984, 88, 823-825

another good starting reference is

  Schindewolf, Ullmanns Encyclopaedie  der technischen Chemie, Band 13,
page 389

Regards,

Klaus

 Klaus Keller
 Environmental Engineering
 and Water Resources Program      Tel.: (609) 258 2612
 Princeton University             Fax:  (609) 258 1274
 Guyot Hall I 57                  e-mail: [log in to unmask]
 Princeton  NJ 08540              homepage: http://www.princeton.edu/~klkeller