Dear Juske Horita,

in an investigation of river water dissolved inorganic carbon (DIC) we
started with the precipitation technique but found it produced
non-reproducible values for some of the polluted water samples.
Furthermore, in order to get the precipitate (in our case BaCO3)
into the lab, we had to filtrate in the field with N2 in order to avoid
uptake of CO2 from air. On the long run, all this was a bit annoying.

So we changed the procedure to releasing the DIC by addition of
H3PO4. This method allowed us to take home a water sample of about 50
ml, preserved with HgCl2 to avoid bacterial alteration, and it
produced results with an excellent precision.

Frank

----------------------------
Frank Pawellek
Stable Isotope Laboratory