Hi Lisa,

Capitation rates are calculated based on the rate at which the services are
utilized and the unit charge (assumed to include the margin between actual
"cash out" cost and revenue) for the service.  While published rates other
HCOs have used are helpful for knowing if you are in the ballpark, i
encourage you to exercise caution.  Your experience will be dependent on the
referring patterns and habits of local providers.  That is the utilization
profile you need to understand when evaluating a capitation rate.

A good source of information would be your home care association.  They will
likely have actual capiation rates from members who have entered into risk
contracts.  You may even be able to get the name(s) of the companies and
talk to them about their experience, what they learned, advise for the
future, etc.

You are welcome to download a paper I co-presented to the Ohio Academy of
Family Physicians Scientific Assembly on June 21, 1996 in Cleveland.  It
discusses capiation from various points of view and includes the formulas
for developing capiation rates from your own data.  Go to:

http://www.hlthsys.com

Click on the Information Exchange link, then on the Download Information
Files link then scroll down to the capiation paper.  It is in WordPerfect
for Windows format and ZIPped using PKZIP.  You'll need PKUNZIP to
decompress it.

Regards,

Bill Braun

At 07:04 AM 7/2/96 PDT, you wrote:
>If anyone can steer me to a source for capitation rates I would be most
>appreciative.  I have a request for very specific home care rates and have
>checked as many options as I - and a few local colleagues - can think of.
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>Thanks in advance,
>Lisa Carbone

Medical Practice Systems Inc.  (216) 382-7111 (Voice)
and The Health Systems Group   http://www.hlthsys.com
Mergers - Planning - Management Services
Marketing - Managed Care - Education & Training