One thing I have not seen mentioned in this ongoing conversation is
the fact that pharmacists can provide patient counseling services.
Librarians can't.  Patients ask tough questions and dislike being
shuffled from person to person trying to find answers to their
questions.  With the advent of the Pharm.D. program standard
nationwide, we will see pharmacists with advanced training doing more
than they've done before, particularly in patient counseling.
Pharmacists many times are the ones to identify possible drug
interactions and reactions and other medical problems.  Get to know
your pharmacists!  If you think I'm "pro-pharmacist", I am.  I'm an
adjunct faculty member in our School of Pharmacy.

Instead of being offended by the fact that Time-Life Videos decided
to use pharmacies as their vehicle for distribution, stop by your
local pharmacy.  Take a look at all the consumer-oriented material
they have on their shelves. Look at all the "natural" medicines that
are displayed for sale.  Drop some of your library's brochures off to
them.  Be proactive!  This is a real learning experience!

Janice L. Gahagan
Coordinator, Health Sciences Information Network
University of Wyoming
205 Coe Library - P.O. Box 3334
Laramie, WY  82071-3334

Phone:      307-766-6537