I'm  not fond of center because:

(1) It denotes a place, not a service.
(2) Anything can be called a "center"anymore and it doesn't mean  much

I'm not fond of "resource center" because

(1) It sounds like a '70s public school library or
(2) an unattended pamphlet stand...

We're calling ours a "Consumer Health Information Service".  Even
my octogenarian mother-in-law understands what that is. "Library"
is a reasonably descriptive word, too -- we chose not to use it
only because we believe it implies more self-service than what
we offer.

        OKLAHOMAOKLAHOMAOKLAHOMAOKLAHOMAOKLAHOMAOKLA
        K     [log in to unmask]    H
        L                                          O
        AHOMAOKLAHOMAOKLA    Michelynn McKnight    M
                       O    Phone: 405/360-8385    A
                        K   FAX: 405/321-6576      O
                          A                        L
                           O                       A
                            K                      H
                             OKLAHOMAKLAHOMAOKLAHOMA

Director, Health Sciences Library, Norman Regional Hospital,
PO Box 1308, Norman, Oklahoma, 73070, USA