The words "education" and "information" are *not* interchangeable.

Today, "education" implies teaching -- with a curriculum and behavioral
objectives. Health professionals may teach patients. They choose what
the patient should learn and check to see if they have learned it.

Librarians offer information services. Other than bibliographic skills,
we do not teach. We provide our clients with the information they request.
We do not test them to see if they learned it to our satisfaction. We are
not doctors, nurses, dieticians or physical therapists who do teach patients.

Health professionals may use materials from our library for their
educational purposes. Library professionals should be very good
at that. Patients and professionals may use information they
get from a library to teach themselves -- self-education -- but
health librarians are not really health educators.

Michelynn