I'm responding to the list because these questions illustrate the value of
the Research Instruments field in CINAHL (IT, for Instrumentation in
CINAHLdirect).

"One of the physicians here has asked that I try to locate a copy of
     the Texas Revised Inventory of Grief."

Search texas.it. and grief.it. yielded six citations - most on revised
scale, but at least one on original.  In the Research Instrument field, some
citations also noted the name of the author.  This suggests that a Social
Science Citation index search on original article would yield additional
articles.  In any case, at least one of the articles cited in the CINAHL
search should produce some clues.  Unfortunately, none of these 6 articles
had online cited references, to immediately produce source article.
Sometimes, this clue will also be in the online citation.

>     I am in need of finding information on the BKAT test which is a
>     critical care competency exam for nurses. Where  would I find this ?
>     Would anyone have information on who publishes this and owns the
>     rights to it and also documentation to validate its quality as a tool.

A textword search on BKAT in CINAHL yields 26 citations; 16 for BKAT.IT.
The others would come from abstracts and/or cited references field.  BKAT
stands for Basic Knowledge Assessment test; citation review suggests it's
used for critical care skills.

Locating & reviewing the articles found in these searches should lead to the
instrument source.  Whenever possible, CINAHL trys to get permission to
include research instruments full-text in the CINAHL database - if there,
was not one of the citations I reviewed.

For the BKAT question, I did try checking the Publications catalog of AACN
on their web page.  At http://www.aacn.org/catalog/anp.html, some of the
Critical care orientation books listed might include the scale indicated.  A
call to AACN might help.

Other sources of reserch instruments include the HAPI file (Ovid & CD-ROM?).
You might also find helpful information on the grief inventory in PsycLIT.

Good luck to both of you, and others looking for research instruments.  Peg

Margaret (Peg) Allen, MLS-AHIP
Library/Information Consultant
Resource Librarian Consultant for Cinahl Information Systems
Library Consultant for Northern Wisconsin AHEC, Inc.
PO Box 2, 308 Kann,  Stratford, WI 54484-0002
(715)687-4976 or (715)687-2287  Fax:(715)687-4976