This is my final request - originally appeared under another heading, while
many on vacation.  Was also in NAHRS newsletter...  I can use more
is Sept. 30 and I need to get my copy to co-author before then.  Results
will be shared with respondents.

Many thanks to those who've already replied.

Thanks in advance -  Peg
Nursing Librarians Survey - collection development and liaison roles
As co-author of the Collection Development chapter of the forthcoming
revised ed. of the NLN book on library services for nursing, I would like to
draw on the experience of others in addition to my own.

Would those of you with collection development policies for nursing please
send me a copy, along with a description of the nursing programs served?  I'm
looking for policies supporting varying types of nursing education programs
and/or clinical practice.

Also, I'm interested in surveying nursing librarians/library liaisons
regarding their roles in collection development and library instruction.  If
willing to
respond to a short answer E-mail survey, please send me a note. Or, complete
and return the survey reproduced below. Results will be shared with all
respondents.

Please answer as many questions as you can; feel free to skip any where you
don't know.

1. What "duties" are included in your liaison role?

2. Are you a member of any nursing/nursing school committees?  If yes,
please list and describe role/value.

3. How are nurses involved in collection development?

4. Do you have a separate budget for nursing resources?

5. How much do you spend annually on nursing books? (estimate is fine)

6. How much do you spend annually on nursing journals? (estimate is fine)
Also, number of nursing subscriptions?

7. What tools do you use in collection development? (Check to thise that
apply & add others):

        __ Brandon-Hill list for nursing
        __ AJN Books of the year
        __ Doody's Reviews
        __ Choice reviews
        __ Book reviews in nursing journals
        __ Interlibrary loan records
        __ Others:

8. Who makes the final determination on what is purchased for nursing?

9. What databases are available for nursing:
        __ MEDLINE
        __ CINAHL
        __ RNdex
        __ HealthSTAR (old Health)
        __ ERIC
        __ PsycLIT (or ClinPsyc)
        __ HAPI
        __ Others:

10.  If your role includes instruction for nursing, please describe type of
instruction program.  Is is course integrated, separate course,
workshops/continuing education, other?  How many hours/credits/CEUs are in
the offerings? Basic content?

11. Other comments you'd like to add on liaison role?

12. May I quote you by name and affiliation?

Finally, about you (please complete even if you don't want to be quoted):

Name & affiliation/location:

Nursing population: (Check all that apply):

__ Practicing nurses (staff, managers,etc.)
__ Nursing faculty
__ ADN students
__ Diploma nursing students
__ BSN students
__ Master's degree students
__ Doctoral nursing students
__ Nurse researchers
__ Others (specify):

Thanks for volunteering! Peg

Margaret (Peg) Allen, MLS-AHIP
Library/Information Consultant
Resource Librarian Consultant for Cinahl Information Systems
Library Consultant for Northern Wisconsin AHEC, Inc.
PO Box 2, 308 Kann,  Stratford, WI 54484-0002
(715)687-4976 or (715)687-2287  Fax:(715)687-4976