On Thu, 5 Sep 1996, Catherine Wolfson wrote:
> in pamphlet files and consumer-oriented databases, and are ready for more.
> Moreover, the clientele walking or calling in to our library are often
> quite well educated, sometimes at the PhD level, and can fairly quickly
> begin to learn what they need to know in order to interpret the
> professional literature.

                I too have clients like these. Very often, people in the
information technology profession, seem to find the logic of indexing and
boolean searching, quite easy to understand. And then they value the
searches I do for them. And they are at a level of education where they
manage to comprehend the information fairly easily.

> Another thought...when consumers express reservations about their ability
> to read the literature, I suggest they discuss what they're reading with
> their physicians.  All too often their response is that they are here
> because the doctors don't have time for them, or speak above their heads,
> or leave them so intimidated that they don't feel free to ask.
>
> In these cases, I ask if they have a relative or friend who is a health
> professional who might be willing to take the time to help them understand
> what they are reading.  They often do know such a person and are grateful
> for the suggestion.

Thanks for this idea Cathy, - I used this today, for a client and she WAS
grateful for the suggestion!

> By the way, we are increasingly getting clientele who were specifically
> told by their physicians, or by the nurses in the University Medical
> Center here, to come visit us, and that we will help them find the info
> they need.  The health professional are highly laudatory of our
> willingness to help.  Anyone else out there having this experience?

A doctor who I knew at the hospital I worked in, sent me two patients,
for their information needs. In the first instance, it turned out that
the information we gave, helped the family to make a decision against a
surgery. (The family wanted it, the doctors thought it was risky)!!

Vasumathi Sriganesh
       Chief Librarian, Health Education Library for People
          India's First Consumer Health Resource Centre
   Om Chambers - 5th Floor, Kemp's Corner, Mumbai 400 036, India
                      Ph : 91-22-3683334/3681014
                 www: http://www.allindia.com/helplib
Local site - Virtual Community : Dial up nos : 4970674-79