We have made an arrangement with the local ISP's here's in Fairbanks for
free PPP accounts. Considering the cost factor of PPP accounts our annual
budget was unable to provide this service to our users. However, the
agreement we have with ISP's is simple. At each of our Public Access Site's
we provide advertisement for the ISP in the way of a signage / poster saying
"FairNet Public Access Site, This Site is Provide by XXXXXXXXXXXX'. This
allows us to provide full net access at our PAS's and provide the ISP with
some PR that might generate some source of income for them as well.

This has worked very well for us and the community. It allows those who can
not afford a PPP a place to surf the net and  those who are new to the net a
place to find out if they like to surf and a contact to acquire a full PPP
account at home if they so choose.

We do not provide email at the PAS's, but do provide email to our users via
our BBS platform. So far this has worked very well. Has anyone else had
similar experience with this type of arraingement ?

At 03:48 PM 9/8/96 -0500, you wrote:
>On Thu, 5 Sep 1996, Donald Chan wrote:
>
>> In future, I will stick to discussing affordable internet access and
>> trying to "level the playing field". No I am not a Clinton supporter,
>> I just believe in Moore's law and believe community nets should offer
>> PPP access as well as text to enable their constituents an opportunity
>> to see the modern internet.
>>
>> 	                  Donald [log in to unmask]
>
>An interesting belief, coming from a freenet that as near as I can tell
>from looking at their webpages dose NOT offer PPP access.  What has been
>the NCF's response to your suggestions for PPP service?  Do you believe
>PPP access should be part of the universal and FREE access?  (I think your
>answer is "yes"?)  Does charging near-market rates for PPP, and using that
>to subsidize a free text-only service level, promote or hinder the goals
>of a CN? Have you been able to convince any of the commercial service
>providers to start giving away PPP for free?  What model do you have in
>mind for the relationship of commercial ISPs and community networks when
>one is giving away what the other is trying to make a living on?  Can CNs
>afford to be competitors of commercial ISPs?
>
>PPP access has been the #1 request here, too, but I haven't comfortable
>enough with the answers to many of the above questions to back it
>100%.
>
>I assume you've given this a lot of thought; I know I have in my role on a
>CN board.  I'd like to hear how you've answered the above questions that
>I've asked myself and others over the past year.  (Anyone else who has
>answers, please feel free to share them too!)
>
>  -- Brad Whitlock

Vol-un-teer-ism. The theory, act, or practice of being a volunteer or of
using volunteers in Community Service work. To give, or offer to give on
one's own free will.
Name:	John Johnston
Email:	[log in to unmask]
URL:	www2.polarnet.com/~bearqst