Dear friends and colleagues:

     I am planning the remodeling and modernization of the library at
an important public pediatric hospital in Mexico City.  The hospital
generally has an average of 150 students (interns and residents) and
there are 250 doctors on the staff.  Some preliminary work on the library's
remodeling was done before I came aboard.  I have talked to the hospital's
Director of Medical Education about these preliminary plans and among other
observations mentioned that there is not enough space for the shelving of
the library's holdings of 120,000 volumes (books and bound serials) and 170
current serial subscriptions, there is not enough space for study (there are
places for 70 users) and that there is not enough space for certain
work areas, especially Technical Processes.  He asked me if there were
standards to justify these comments.  I told him that to the best of my
knowledge there are no such standards in Mexico, but there probably
are in the U.S.

     Could someone be so kind as to tell me if there are standards
relating to the following factors and how I might obtain them quickly?

--total area

--number of active serial subscriptions

--number of book titles

--number of professional and paraprofessional staff

--amount of space for (seated) users

--amount of space per full time library staff member

--amount of space between shelving

--number of OPAC terminals and CD-ROM workstations

     As medical librarianhsip here is still in its infancy, any help
would be greatly appreciated.  If someone is willing and able to fax me
information, it would be tremendously helpful.

     Thank you for your time and assistance.

Sincerely yours,
Daniel Mattes

Daniel Mattes Durrett
University Librarian
Universidad Anahuac
Apartado Postal 10 844
11000 Mexico, D.F.
MEXICO

telephone:  011-525-328-8036 and 011-525-627-0210 ext. 8304
fax:        011-525-328-8070 and 011-525-589-9796
e-mail:     [log in to unmask]