From: "Roger A. Lawson" <[log in to unmask]>
Newsgroups: uvm.today
Subject: Re: conversion of moose to zoo  ???????
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 13:33:32 -0400

Richard Landesman wrote:

>moose alert????
>
>There is a rumor going around that all the moose accounts will be history
>as of the end of the year.....Is this true?????

   Sort of.  Moose will still exist and will continue to be part of the
Zoo cluster as it has been for some time. However, access to Moose and
the other computers in the Zoo cluster (currently Elk and Gnu) will be
through the cluster name, Zoo. As additional computers are added to the
cluster, the extra capacity will be immediately available to Zoo users,
and no further changes will be required for Zoo users to benefit from
the increased capacity.

>If this is true then...
>1. when are we going to be informed of the change.

  CIT has been gradually rolling out this change for several weeks now.
Things seem to be going smoothly, and we are now ramping up the
conversion process. The Zoo cluster has been available since February,
and all new accounts have been on the Zoo cluster since August. Soon
email describing the cluster and how to "zoom" to Zoo will be sent to
Moose users who have not yet made the transition.

>2. will we have to notify all our lists and notify all those to whom we
>correspond to ...or

   It will not be *necessary* to notify your correspondents of your new
address since both the moose and zoo addresses will work for some time
(probably years). It would be a good idea to start using the new address
nonetheless.

   Subscriptions to UVM lists (on list.uvm.edu) are being automatically
converted from Moose to Zoo on Monday evening Oct. 28 (all such
subscribers have been notified). If you are a susbscriber to other lists
(typically outside UVM), you will continue to receive postings. However,
some of these lists may not recognize postings from your new address, so
we recommend unsubscribing (from your Moose address) and resubscribing
from Zoo. See http://www.uvm.edu/cit/zoo/ for details.

>3. will the system be set up to automatically convert incoming moose
>messages to zoo?????

   Yes. In fact Moose will continue to receive and store email which
will be accessed through the Zoo cluster.

   For more information see http://www.uvm.edu/cit/zoo/

   If you have questions please send email to: [log in to unmask]

   If you have comments or complaints, please send them to: [log in to unmask]

Dean Williams                                       [log in to unmask]
Assistant Director for Client Services              656-1174
Division of Computing and Information Technology