On Tue, 1 Oct 1996, Steve Snow wrote:

> I have no problem charging the non's and the for's to underwrite the cost
> of delivering free services to those without means. I fully intend to
> keep Charlotte's Web "free" for the end user,  especially aimed at those
> people who don't have the wherewithal to buy it themse;ves.
>
> We're planning fees for nonprofits and small govt agencies as a way to
> recoup some of those costs (we are, after all, helping them deliver services
> to these same people (their clients!) via the web.

Make sense?  Depends on who you ask.  The local newspaper paid well for
their first year, then the second year cut their payment by 60% to about
standard web-rates and told us "WE [the paper] add value to YOU [the CN],
so just be glad we're participating at all."

Big NFPs have been able to pay, but smaller NFPs tend to be as strapped as
we are and thus unable to pay much.  We've got a tiered pricing structure,
with local info and internet email for free, up to $60/year for full text
internet access.  One approach we're just starting to try is if a NFP will
get 10 people to join at the $60 memberships, the NFP gets their site for
free.  Everyone thinks its a workable idea; we'll see how it all plays out
in practice.

  -- Brad Whitlock