Following up on how-you-do-it (below), do you have (did you need) a formal
authorization of any kind from your Elections Board to have such access?  If
so, can we get a copy?  Maybe we can do that next year for our local
elections in Alexandria VA.

Bob Maslyn
ALEX, Electronic Alexandria Community (www.alex.org)

At 08:26 AM 10/3/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Wally,
>

>> Steve -- Can you elaborate a bit how you set up the real-time elections
>> results mechanism?  Do you have volunteers with laptops at the
>> precincts?  Or have you tapped into party apparatchiks who are already
>> doing some similar poll-watching/reporting?
>>
>> Wally Bowen
>>
>We will have two machines at the Mecklenburg County elections office,
>both hooked to their lan; one for monitoring for problems and one for
>processing electronic files we snag from the elections office.
>
>We'll wave a magic wand over the data, shoot it over to Charlotte's Web
>on a regular telephone line and then it will go into a database and have
>another magic wand waved ver it so it can generate web pages on the fly.
>when people ask for info.
>
>We're also serving as the official media outlet for the results, so we
>have special media download packets that we also generate everytime we
>update the files (about every 10 minutes or so).
>
>We'll be doing it three ways this time -- regular, flat pages to
>accommodate text users; a frames version for the frames-enabled and a
>Java version that will *scroll* the results for you and dynamically
>update the files.
>
>We'll also have links to precinct-by-precinct results and links from that
>to precinct-level demographics, which we're setting up in another database.
>
>We're hoping to provide as many ways for people to get to broader
>information -- statewide in NC and nationally, as well -- to make their
>electroic experience "complete". No film clips of Clinton and Dole, tho. ;-)
>
>Steve Snow
>Charlotte's Web

Bob Maslyn
REMEMBER THIS:  http://www.alex.org
ALEX, the Electronic Alexandria Community
703-836-3729 (voice)
703 Devon Place Alexandria VA 22314-1213
United States