Brent

You noted:

> Sure does.  If you do charge these folks, though, will you meet with
> resistance from the private ISPs who may call foul on the grounds that a
> government financed (by grants, in part) NFP is unfairly competing with
> their services?  Second, to keep them with your service, it seems that
> you will have to offer them a service for a fee a touch below your local
> market clearing price.  My answer to for profit services in this wise is
> t ask them whether they would be willing to provide the community content
> for the same (zero) price and the underwriting of universal service.

Well, you know, I am no longer intimidated by such an argument, partly
for the reasons you state. We are not an ISP and we do not pretend to be
an ISP. We do *not* offer PPP to the world; dialup general public gets
LYNX. For free. NFP orgs can get PPP and a whole lot more: dedicated
connectivity, training, support, networking training, web space, domain
service, etc., etc. -- Most of the stuff ISPs do not provide. We are
focusing on two niches in the market: NFPs and small governments. If ISPs
don't like it, fine. They can get a regular job like everyone else. No
more sympathy here: I, for one, am tired of these cherry pickers whining
because they have to work for a living.

Cordially, ;-)

Steve