At 11:23 AM 10/23/96 -0400, you wrote:

>Mr. Farley said recently:
>
>>          Phil may not know that I was among those asked originally by the
>> Dean of the University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health to
>> host Dr. Trevor Hadley, the progenitor of the *healthy cities movement*.  I
>> participated very early on in discussions about this effort.  I'm quite
>> familiar with the approach and the public health philosophy that
underlies it.

>That's Dr. Trevor Hancock.

        Oops.  Trevor Hadley, one of the founders of the community mental
health movement in Pennsylvania, is an old friend of mine.  In haste I made
this error.  Of course, it's Hancock.  Thank you for the correction.

  It was my idea to invite Dr. Hancock and the
>Dean agreed. I had read Dr. Hancock's work many years ago and decided to
>start a Healthy Cities project in Pittsburgh, then took the idea to the
>Dean who endorsed the idea, enthusiastically. I was the one to invite you.
>In fact I did everything including typing up the labels, and as I recall
>accidently mispelled your name.

        That's OK.  I misspell things occasionally, too.

 I remember you could not attend more than
>two meetings. However, we had spoken on the phone several times, where you
>provided some ideas about a project you had in the Hill District.
>
>It was Dr. Hancock who met Phil Lauro at a community meeting in the West
>End. Dr. Hancock ran over to me and said, "You have to hook up with this
>guy. I think we're sowing good seeds here". That's how I  met Phil.
>
>Dr. Hancock stresses, and has publised, that Healthy Cities is not "public
>health" but "healthy public policy". Healthy Cities began with conferences
>in Canada under the name of Healthy Public Policy.
>

>> >Indeed the positions of people like Mr. Ian
>> >Rawlson
>>
>>         That's Dr. Ian Rawson, a distinguished member of the Pitt faculty
>> and an administrator at Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh.
>>

>Actually Rawson is not Pitt faculty or staff (just a detail).

        This may be going back before your time at Pitt, but Rawson was a
member of the Pitt Public Health School faculty for many years, and his
reputation as a researcher and writer is based largely on that and other,
similar associations.

>There were times early on when I felt a little worried about having sucked
>Phil Lauro into the Healthy Cities process, since he put in such an
>incredible amount of hours without pay. However, the Skill Network project
>that has emerged has such great potential that I know it was all worth it.
>I know Phil has done all these seminars here at the University without
>pay, but I'm confident that it will pay off because the Skill Cell Theory
>and Methodology is right on the mark.

        I hope so.  Best wishes for its success.

                Regards,   Dave Farley.