--Kyle, commenting on Ronald and Angela's posts (which I find most
useful) observed:

CU´But as we try to define what is a
  ´community network, we need to consider to what extent this provides a new
  ´opportunity for community (communication) and to what extent it simply
  ´mirrors the geo-centered matrix of relationships, i.e., individuals
  ´interacting with businesspersons and government administrators.

Without addressing the definition of "community", or what the
geographic limits of "local" may be, I earlier observed what I felt to
be a symbiotic relationship between virtual enterprise and community
(place) requirements. If tomorrow's technology workers are employed by
virtual enterprises -- they must be supported in their communities.

Permit me to share the substance of a conversation I had with with my
shuttle bus driver returing from the airport last evening (virtual
operations involve interesting changes in travel and office work
patterns). The gist of the conversation that evolved from my comment
about the November, 1996 issue of PC Computing on the seat beside the
driver was that we agreed that each of us needed to get away from the
technology access and work at regualar intervals to retain the essence
of the human sprit and condition. NOTE: My driver knew about computers
because his children were growing up with them in school and in other
public places. He also thought that someday there would be a computer
in every household.

In my mind economic development is everyone's responsibility -- and it
cannot be accomplished in isolation from the business community and
private enterprise. A cornerstone of the community strategic plan
should be its community technology support plan, including a community
network. Community strategic planning should be lead by the community
leaders. Communities must take responsibility for themselves, as should
individuals.

Realizing the multiple problems associated with getting everyone
marching in the same direction at the same time -- and I have gotten
some of the lightening bolts that we have seen over the past several
days -- we plan to make (a template for and approach to affordable)
community networking available to any community who would like to avail
themselves of it -- at least what it is that we may be able to provide.
On November 18, 1996 I am scheduled to brief how our approach could be
deployed across the United States in parallel with the National Guard's
Distance Learning Network program. Our approach (I think is  -- and it
certainly is my intention that it be -- very strongly influenced by
what is "best of class" of what has been our collective experiences).

You know, if we all truly collaborated we could field a very powerful
community network world wide.  Assumption #1 in our approach is this:
everyone in the community network "locality" gets access to free email.

 * 1st 2.00 #1939s * Software Valley: helping achieve technology benefits today

Internet: [log in to unmask] (Dick Dowell)
This message was processed by Software Valley Information System