Angela:

        This looks pretty good to me.  On your last point, however, I think
it would be useful to get some of the connotation of *value judgment* out of
*from the bottom up*, if that phrase is going to be used.  The democracy and
sharing that I believe are or should be inherent in well-functioning
community networks imply some sort of commerce, and not just in one
direction.  Things aren't inherently more valuable because they develop
*from the bottom up* any more than if they develop *from the top down.*  And
both kinds of communication ought be allowed to be part of a community
network.  Exclusivity in terms of the locus of communication or action that
may follow from it has no place, here, in my opinion.

        Racist-inspired beatings and killings in the American South, e.g.,
of a few decades ago developed essentially from the bottom up, while
successful federal intervention to stop them developed from the top down.

        I recommend you consider conceptualizing the matter of how
communication occurs in successful networks as not related to its locus, but
rather to measures of the extent of information sharing, debate (yes, even
arguments from time to time), consensus, changed opinions, and how (or if)
dissenters are accomodated.

                        Regards,

                        Dave Farley
                        Grants and Development Officer