Hi Folks,

This is my first posting to this list. I am going to violate the
principle rule of mailing lists. That is to start posting before even
reading any of the previous posts. I just subscribed as a matter of fact.
I was told however by a reliable source (Wally Bowen) that this is the
perfect place for this.

So, Email at public access terminals?

We, (The Mountain Area Information Network) as part of our mission are
placing public access terminals in libraries and other locations. One of
the functions we want to be available to the users of these terminals is
the ability to access their email from these terminals.

Currently, the method we are providing is the availability of telnet and
access to their email through a their shell acount. (All users of MAIN
systems have access to a shell account). We are providing a basic
instruction set for people to follow if they are not familiar with this
process. This set of instructions is available from the MAIN home page.

We are open to alternative methods that might prove more user friendly
or have a better interface. We have heard of one alternative being used,
namely using Eudora on a floppy. People bring their own floppy disk with
a POP mailer, including their inbox with them, and insert it into the
drive on the PA terminal. There are several concerns associated with this
method. One is that we don't want to allow users to access a command
environment, like a DOS prompt, Explorer, or File Manager (these are PC's
running Windows 95). If people have access to a command environment, they
can insert a virus, corrupt the boot sector of the disk, monitor
keystrokes and write them to a file thereby capturing user passwords, and
cause as much havoc as they can figure out. This is one problems faced by
PA terminals. Other problems that this method allows is that people may
leave their disks in the station by mistake, violating their privacy and
allowing harrassing, obscene, or otherwise illegal email to be sent in another
users name.

Although the telnet method could create the second problem, at least the
integrity of the operating system would remain intact. Also, people are
more likely to forget a disk than to leave a telnet session open.

Anyway, have any of used another solution, or can you make any
recommendations?

Thanks,

Steven Lee