RESEARCH MANAGER

Stable Isotope Laboratory, Royal Holloway College, University of London

We are now able to invite formal applications for the post of Research
Manager in the Stable Isotope Laboratories at Royal Holloway, University of
London. The research manager will be responsible for the operation and
maintenance of VG Prism and Optima mass spectrometers and association
sample preparation systems, along with the training and supervision of
users.  The appointment will be at Post-Doctoral level and the candidate
will be encouraged to  pursue independent and/or collaborative research
within the framework of research interests in the Department of Geology.

We are looking for somebody who has solid practical experience in operating
dual inlet and continuous He-flow mass spectrometer systems. The stable
isotope laboratories at RHUL feature a wide range of preparation systems
including conventional and automatic carbonate analysis systems, two laser
fluorination systems (one fully automated) for O isotope analysis of
silicates, an Isochrome EA system for CNS isotope analysis, and other lines
for stepwise heating analysis of fluid inclusions and general purpose
extractions. A knowledge of vacuum technology and troubleshooting hardware
or software problems is essential.

The appointment is funded for 5 years and is available immediately. We are
seeking to appoint as soon as possible, preferably to start in January
1997.

In order to proceed as quickly as possible please send a  letter of
application with CV containing names of three referees directly to Dr. Dave
Mattey at the address  given below (email: [log in to unmask]).

A completed  College application form is also required;  I will send these
out by post or FAX as appropriate, on receipt of a letter of application.

Further information may be obtained from me, via email or telephone.
Information on the Geology Department at Royal Holloway can be found at
http://sun2.gl.rhbnc.ac.uk/

Dave Mattey

Geology Department, Royal Holloway College, University of London, Egham
Hill, Egham, Surrey TW20 0EX

Tel:      01784  443587          Office
                        443637          Isotope lab (Prism)
                        443629          Isotope lab (Optima)