_______
_
From: Lee Nix on Tue, Jan 21, 1997 9:49 AM
Subject: RE: Cuff Artifact
To: [log in to unmask]

Steven-
  I did respond to Brooke, perhaps it went directly to him (this was an
unintentional lurk if true).  I will include my response below for what
it is
worth.
Lee Nix

Brooke-
  Any pressure measurement obtained by a cuff is accurate if the width
of the
cuff is 20% greater than the diameter of the limb. For the upper thigh
measurement, most people use a 10 or 12 centimeter wide cuff which is
rarely
even close to being 20% greater than the diameter of the limb (the
diameter
of the limb would have to be less than 10cm).  The amount of artifact is
directly related to the size of the limb but most people use 30 mmHg as
standard.  The high thigh pressure in a normal individual is expected to
be
30 mmHg higher than the higher arm pressure.
Lee Nix
addendum:  we use 50 mmHg of toe pressure as the lower indicator of
healing
potential in the diabetic, 30 mmHg for non-diabetics.  We also note that
toe
pressure is directly related to systolic pressure;  obviously, a
decrease in
systolic pressure will result in a decrease in toe pressure and vice
versa.
_______
_