and Robb Scholten <[log in to unmask]> said:

> I am also wondering, along with the original questioner, if MeSH has
> been translated into other languages.  Or, if I were to type in
> "coeur" in Silverplatter, would it map to the "heart"  I was under
> the impression that the NLM Metathesaurus was supposed to be
> capable of doing this kind of translation, but I have never seen
> it demonstrated.

I am sorry if my previous posting was not clear.  SilverPlatter currently
offers Spanish, French and German translations of its WinSPIRS interface
which allows users to read directions and access help in those languages.

In SilverPlatter's MEDLINE, there is no way to type in a non-English
language term and access the corresponding MeSH term.  Some of the
databases that SilverPlatter publishes do provide descriptor fields in
multiple languages.  In those databases, a user would be able to type a
term from a non-English language and retrieve records dealing with that
subject.  This is not the case with MEDLINE searching at this time.

SilverPlatter is examining possible enhancements to the MEDLINE database
and is considering some of the Metathesaurus features developed by NLM.
I have passed on the suggestion for mapping "foreign language" terms
into MeSH to the Product Manager in charge of MEDLINE, Tammy Palmer.
If you have further suggestions, or comments, please contact her
directly at the email address:  [log in to unmask]

Gerry Hurley
Manager, Library and Information Services
SilverPlatter Information

SilverPlatter Information, Inc.     SilverPlatter Information,Ltd
100 River Ridge Drive               10 Barley Mow Passage
Norwood, MA  02062                  Chiswick, London  W4 4PH
   Phone: 800-343-0064 (US/Canada)     Phone: 0800-262-096 (UK)
          617-769-2599                        +44-181-995-8242
     Fax: 617-769-8763                   Fax: +44-181-995-5159